Conferences can create a lot of waste. NCCPP is committed to reducing our environmental impact and fostering a more sustainable future. This year, we are starting sustainability practices to maximize our impact.
What can you do onsite?
- Take the Metrorail or Metrobus from the airport and carpool or walk whenever possible during your time in DC.
- Bring your reusable water bottle to use throughout the conference.
- Return your NCCPP2023 name badge on Friday – we’ll reuse them next year!
A few of the ways we are creating a sustainable NCCPP include:
- Sourcing local and sustainable food options, and donating leftover, unused food, whenever possible.
- Utilizing a digital conference program (rather than printed programs).
In addition to environmentally sustainable practices, we also take into account social considerations and economic practices and are patronizing locally-owned businesses for the majority of our conference needs.
You can read more about Smithsonian’s sustainability initiatives here: https://science.si.edu/